How to Stay Top of Mind?
In marketing, there is one thing worth more than gold. It is top of mind. Being top of mind means that when someone thinks about your product category, they think of you. Delivery services? Most people think of FedEx and UPS. Soft drinks? They think Coke and Pepsi. Laundry detergent? Tide.
Are you top of mind in your category? If not, how do you get there?
Here are 5 ways to stay top of mind with your customers:
1. Promote your selling proposition. Every company has (or should have) a unique selling proposition. This is the reason people should buy from you. Think about DiGiorno frozen pizza. “It’s not delivery. It’s DiGiorno,” right? Their selling proposition is a compelling one — it tastes like delivery without the wait. What’s your selling proposition? Identify it, then articulate it clearly, consistently, and briefly in all of your marketing communications. Keep saying it!
2. Create a consistent visual identity. There are certain brands you can identify from a mile away: their colors, their design style, their spokesperson, or mascot. A consistent brand identity is enormous when staying top of mind. Create a consistent look and feel in everything from your direct mail to your company stationery. Use templates if necessary.
3. Stay out there. A one-time advertising blitz can get your message out quickly, but you build credibility and stay top of mind with regular, timely communications. Drip your marketing communications a little at a time to remain part of the conversion.
4. Use multiple touchpoints. Direct mail is highly effective in reinforcing a personal bond between your company and your customers. Multiple medias support that message by touching prospects at different times and ways. Send a customized letter giving your best prospects the inside track on a new product. Follow up with email. Send a postcard or brochure when the product is available. Send a note of thanks when the client makes a purchase.
5. Timing is everything. Strategically plan repeated communications so customers perceive you as a provider of helpful information rather than an intrusive pest. This requires both organization and dedication.
Today, consumers have so many options to choose from in almost every buying category. Stay top of mind by using multiple touchpoints and channels to deliver your message. Building a strong brand reputation with your customers will lift you out of a noisy marketplace to increase customer retention and response rates.
Aradius Group is a commercial printing company that specializes in marketing strategy, specifically with direct mail, based out of Omaha, NE.